Another Light Analysis of Referral Spammers
The “Account Terminated” swamp got a little muddier over the last few days. It appears that those of us who’ve started to blog about what we’re finding are starting to get a lot of hits from others who are being targetted, and the scammers effectiveness is therefore being reduced as folk realize that the original message is just a ruse. The scammer, in an attempt to stay one step ahead has now added some new messages to his repartee, the list new includes:
- Account Terminated
- Hosting service temporarily unavailable
- – Suspended until further notice –
- ”” [an empty string]
- Account locked
- Service Unavailable! Genius. What’s more, the opening line now has all kinds of alternative forms too:
- The Following strange article is term of service closing.
- The entire file is now in closing order
- The Following explanation is in suspension
- This former info is currently under investigation
- This entire rumor is currently in closing order
Also, the scammer has now added an official looking feedback form to the page that even includes a captcha code, just to add an air of authenticity and professionalism. Make no mistake, I’m seeing hundreds of referrals every week from this URL - this is not an above board operation.
Here’s the killer blow, which illustrates why we’re all seeing this spam - the google pagerank for psxtreme.com is currently 7/10 - the site has no content, no history of service, and yet it’s pagerank is at a level that will push it almost to the top of any web search.
If you’re playing a percentage game with (for example) people who fancy a quick 10 minutes gambling on the net, then this is the thing that gets your site visited more than others. You have to annoy a lot of people to achieve it, but those who seek personal wealth don’t often see the bigger picture.